Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fitting the Pieces Together

In this weeks blog assignment we were asked to answer questions about how our views had changed on the learning theories after having explored the various learning theories and integrating technology.

Now that you have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and learning styles, how has your view on how you learn changed?

When first considering this question my initial response was to say that I still consider Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences to be the main learning theory where I learn best. Upon exploring the Adult learning theory as well as Connectivity Theory I see that in addition to Gardner’s theory these other two greatly influence my learning style. Since I am usually never very far from my computer I find that when I need to find out information the first and easiest place to go is consulting the Internet. I see that my learning does occur in many different ways and I seek out other resources when I need information. I think that the Adult Learning theory further explains the ways in which I learn that Gardner’s theories do not. I find that past experiences influence my learning. I believe that Gardner’s theory gives actions on how people learn but the AL theory gives explanations behind the actions.

What have you learned about the various learning theories and learning styles over the past weeks that can further explain your own personal learning preferences?

The Adult Learning theory explains why my past experiences have influenced my learning as well as how I receive the information given. The AL theory explains how and why an adult learner is resistant or open to the learning process. If the AL doesn’t feel the information is usable or relevant to the subject they are less likely to pay attention and find value in knowing about the subject. The AL will wade through all the information in order to find usable knowledge and create meaning. The AL must have the chance to create meaning without fear of being judged. The central tenets of AL theory certainly mimic my learning needs.

What role does technology play in your learning (i.e., as a way to search for information, to record information, to create, etc.)?


Before starting this class I would have said that Technology plays a large role in my learning because I used the Internet resources available for seeking and researching information. After exploring this class I realize that Technology plays a greater role in learning and that I have missed a part of learning by not utilizing all the newest and latest things available. I have been challenged by the technology in this course, as I have had to explore new areas such as blogging. Seeking and finding the information has been difficult at times and I have had to challenge myself to find other resources when I did not have people to ask questions from. It was very amazing to me to find out about the new technologies coming as well as the existing technologies available today.

No comments:

Post a Comment