Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Final Farewell to Learning Theory

For the last assignment in this class we were asked to reflect on our learning and how we view theory in a different way. Here is my responses to the questions posed.


I think one way that knowing about the different thought’s on how people learn will help me to guide my students in challenging directions when giving the information to them. For example, when I look at adults and how they learn I can understand that there will be a higher level of involvement needed to tailor my subject material for those that may not understand technology and may be feeling insecure about it also I can share my struggles with blogging to people who may feel insecure about being able to complete the necessary tasks. I can also cut out all unnecessary garbage and teach straight to the point of the subject matter. I could also continue to monitor and guide them while they are in my class as well as when they move on.

In the begging of this course I didn’t initially know what to expect. When I saw the words ‘theory” my thought’s were Oh wonderful! [insert heavy breath], now I get to revisit the loads and load’s of dry theory classes that I had to go through in my education courses. My thoughts have changed quite a bit.

For something that I found a bit painful during the other classes, this time I found meaning and usefulness that seemed more helpful than dry and painful! So far the field of instruction has coincided with my former education classes and I have been able to bring in prior background knowledge to help make the learning memorable. I really enjoyed this class as I learned more about theory from the perspective of applying the knowledge to an adult learner rather than an elementary student. I think the Adult Learning Model is very helpful in knowing how adults think and learn. There is a huge difference between adult’s learning and children learning. I think knowing the adult learning model will ultimately help me tailor the instruction to help the most people.


I think this course has deepened my understanding of my personal learning process by opening up new models and theories that I had yet to explored. I was unaware of the connectivity theory as well as the adult learning model. These helped explain the reasons why learning, as an adult can be harder for example using new technology and learning together and how my ego is involved with my learning.



As an adult learner the adult is usually more motivated to be in the class because of a life choice, job or necessary factor. For those reasons adults generally tend to be more motivated to complete the work because they need to get something out of the learning. The adult learner has varied interest when they are older and that can mean the adult learner will be more apt to take on challenges if they find them meaningful to the subject matter. The connection between theories, styles, technology and motivation are centered with the adult and each theory is built using parts of the prior theory to help explain how humans learn.

I believe that the learning in the course will help me connect the reasoning behind the ID field. Just as the last class laid the foundations for ‘why’ companies react in the ways they do, this course explains the ‘why’ behind how humans learn. Finding out the background and foundation helps the ID to understand how best to teach the subject matter they will be given. I believe that this class will help me articulate how an adult learner will perceive the information given and how best to formulate my instruction in order to make this happen.


Thank you very much for making the course learning an interesting time and I feel that I will be able to take this knowledge and continue on with my program feeling as if I received the proper background information to build upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment