Sunday, July 3, 2011

Week 1 Assignment

What is distance learning?
Dr. Michael Simonson’s definition of distance learning from the Walden U media lecture, Distance Education: The Next Generation, states that: “Distance education can be defined as formal education in which the learning group (teacher, students, resource) are separated by geography and, sometimes, by time. Simonson, Smaldino, Albright, & Zvacek; further state in the text that distance education is “institution based, formal education where the learning group is separated, and where interactive communications systems are used to connect learners, resources, and instructors (Simonson, et.al, p.32).

My exposure to distance learning.
Before this class, I would define distance learning as a learner in one location utilizing information from a teacher or module that originates from another location and both people are working together around the same goals. Distance learning is more complex than just a student accessing information from a module where a teacher is facilitating a class. My personal experience with distance learning prior to being a Walden U masters student was in my undergraduate work. Early in 2002, I decided to take an online Biology class that friends stated was an easy alternative to the traditional face-to-face class. I might add that the friends who recommended this class did not have the same distractions at home as I had. In 2002 my method of accessing the Internet was AOL dial-up, I had two very small children that demanded all of my time at home and I still had other demands as an adult. When I re-entered college after having been away from high school for 10 years, I fell into the middle of the traditional/non-traditional college student definition. I wasn’t initially prepared for the onslaught of work that the class would bring and as a result had to work much harder and was constantly plagued with Internet problems through-out the course. As a result, I decided never to take another online course until I entered Walden.  Luckily, distance learning has evolved light years since that time. While distance education is still a very fast paced environment, I have learned that I need to organize my home and school life in a way that is manageable and workable for myself.

Why is distance learning always changing?
I feel that the definition of distance learning is always changing due to the ever increasing technological field and the rapidly developing ideas and services offered through higher learning. The availability of distance learning also continues to change over time because of the easy accessibility for most individuals. Distance education can be beneficial for all students as it gives asynchronous learning where: “instruction is offered…and students access it…anytime it is convenient to them” (Simonson et.al, p.32-33).  Distance education provides a unique opportunity to reach out to a diverse learning community that might not otherwise have access to classes.
I believe that changes in distance learning come from the quality of the training offered and companies seeing the benefits of using distance learning as a cost effective way to train and educate their workforce.  A person’s profession could play a small role as individuals might want to further his or her education, but might not be able to attend a face-to-face class. Attendance in a distance education class can be affected by his/her technical ability. Learners stronger in technical know-how may be more likely to choose an online course. Others might choose distance learning because of the faster pace of the instruction and the thought that concentrated learning will be over quicker. I believe a learner’s technical knowledge can affect the level or course content chosen, however; as distance learning is usually easily accessible, in the end it may or may not be the overriding factor to attend online rather than face-to-face.   

Summary of the future of distance learning.
I believe that distance learning will continue to infiltrate educational arenas and that corporations will continue to adopt new courses as a cost efficient way to train employees. Amy Bruckman suggests in her article “The future of E-Learning Communities” that: “Learning will increasingly involve partnerships across ages and across distance” (Bruckman, p.63). This insight tells me that the future for distance learning will continue to grow and evolve into more choices for educators, learners and educational avenues not previously explored.

Resources:
Bruckman, A.(2002). The future of e-learning communities.
Communications of the ACM,45(4).60-63.
 
Simonson, M., Smaldino,S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S.(2009) 
Teaching and learning at distance: Foundations of distance education.
(4th ed.). Boston, New York, San Francisco: Pearson.



No comments:

Post a Comment